Most people who have lived in the Texas Panhandle or have passed through on US Hwy 60 remember the impression that Tex Randall, one of the tallest cowboys in Texas made on them. Everyone has a story to tell about Tex whether it was the first time they saw him or, as they routinely traveled the highway were he is located, it was a bench mark or mile marker for them.
Tex Randall was constructed at his location in 1959 by industrial arts teacher Harry Wheeler. The statue is composed of concrete, steel and wire mesh. The original purpose was to advertise Wheeler's Western Store. The last restoration effort for the statue was in 1989 when a truck crashed into Tex's left boot.
The aging landmark now resides over a vacant building adjacent to US Hwy 60 in Canyon, Texas. The aging cowboy statue is on the endangered roadside attractions list compiled by the Society for Commercial Archeology that was released in March 2010.
The Canyon Main Street Program is a non profit charitable organization founded in 2002. Through your generosity and contributions, Tex Randall will be restored and his surroundings will be developed into an area befitting for the Texas Panhandle Icon.