Fort Crockett, named after David Crockett, was a United States military reservation on Galveston Island. It was built in 1897 for coast artillery training and harbor defense. Its batteries, which fronted the Gulf of Mexico, held ten-inch guns, mortars, and rapid-fire guns. It was first occupied by Battery G, First Artillery, and relieved by Battery C in 1900. A seawall constructed along the Gulf shore of the military reservation in 1904-05 tied into the gun emplacements. After the Galveston hurricane of 1900, Fort Crocketts batteries were transferred to the United States Army Corps of Engineers. The fort was not garrisoned again until 1911.