Post Office Est.: 1846
Post Office Closed: 1878
High Population: Unknown
Low Population: Unknown
Train Depot Est.:
Train Depot Closed:
Alabama was a post office community and steamer stop on the Trinity River ten miles southwest of Crockett in western Houston County. It was established in the 1830s. In 1841 the Texas Congress chartered Trinity College, which operated in the community before the Civil War. An Alabama post office opened in 1846 with A. T. Monroe as postmaster. The community prospered for many years as a shipping point for plantations in western Houston County but began to decline in the 1870s, when the railroad supplanted the Trinity steamboats. The post office was closed in 1878, and by the 1880s many of the businesses and residents had moved away. A school was still operating at Alabama in 1897, but by the mid-1930s only a few scattered houses remained. Alabama appeared as a place name on maps as late as 1946.
This marker is locate on private property. Do not entry the property without the permission of the land owner. You may contact All Across Texas and we will pass along any message to the owner.
Read more about Alabama at the Handbook of Texas Online (Texas State Historical Association)
Houston County Historical Markers
A native of South Carolina and a Confederate Veteran, Archie Adams cam....
Was founded in this vicinity summer 1690 "on the banks of the Arcangel....
First Spanish Mission in East Texas. Established in 1690 by Francisca....
Author --" History of Houston County, Texas" (April 10, 1858 -- Aug. ....
Where Was Alabama, Texas ?
Loaction: 10 Miles SW of Crockett
Closest Town: Crockett
Closest Major City: