Post Office Est.: 1890
Post Office Closed:
High Population: 1500
Low Population: 21
Founder: Aguilar Family
Train Depot Est.: 1881
Train Depot Closed:
Aguilares is on State Highway 359 and the Texas-Mexican Railway twenty-four miles east of Laredo in southeastern Webb County. It is named for Locario, José, Francisco, Próspero, and Librado Aguilar, who settled in the area in the 1870s. The town started as a ranching community. In 1881 it became a water and wood stop on the railroad. It received a post office in 1890. Some oil has been produced in the area. In 1907 the town had two schools with eighty-nine pupils and two teachers, and in 1910 it reportedly had a population of 1,500. By 1914 the population had decreased to 300; two businesses, the larger being the Aguilares Mercantile Company, served the community. The post office was closed after 1930, and in 1939 the population was ten. In 1945 the population was twenty-five, and one of the two stores had closed. In 1990 only ten people were reported, and most of the houses were in disuse. By 2000 the population grew to thirty-seven.
Read more about Aguilares at the Handbook of Texas Online (Texas State Historical Association)
Webb County Historical Markers
A native of San Antonio, August C. Richter (1863-1940) moved to Lar....
Members of a prominent Laredo family, the three Benavides brother....
Chester C. Biggio, a railroad official and the city's first fire ch....
Born in the Cataluna region of Spain, the most Rev. Peter Verdagu....
Where Was Aguilares, Texas ?
Loaction: 25 miles E of Laredo near Highway 359 and FM 2895
Closest Town: Laredo
Closest Major City: