Post Office Est.: 1889
Post Office Closed: 1942
High Population: 25
Low Population: 0
Year Founded: 1889
Founder: Rocking Chair Ranch
Train Depot Est.:
Train Depot Closed:
Aberdeen, in northeastern Collingsworth County, was a division headquarters of the Rocking Chair Ranch. The town was named for the earl of Aberdeen, one of the British owners, and planned in 1889 to be the nucleus of this ranching enterprise. A post office was granted in December of that year with Henry J. Nesper, a ranch foreman, as postmaster. M. M. French, an agent for the Rocking Chair, purchased the tract and formed the Aberdeen Townsite Company in January 1890. A hotel and a blacksmith shop were constructed on the site, and by 1891 Judge Edward H. Small was operating a supply store for the cowboys. Small also served as the local physician and banker, and later as postmaster.
Top image details: Photograph of a class from the Aberdeen School posing outdoors. The students are lined up in three rows, and a teacher is standing on the right side.
Small image details: Photograph of a large group outdoors in a yard. There are multiple men and women standing behind a fence, and two small children standing on top of it. The group is faced towards the right side of the photograph. The picture was made after the Mill Iron Ranch moved and was used as a residence. Handwriting on the back of the photograph identifies the building as the "Hotel" at Aberdeen, and the people from right to left as Dave Templeton, Addie Templeton, Bob Baxter, Mrs. Bob Baxter, Chummie Smith, Georgia Capteron, Willie Capterton, Nevin Willard, Lyn Greer, Zach Lowry, George Hurt, and George Parson.
Read more about Aberdeen at the Handbook of Texas Online (Texas State Historical Association)
Collingsworth County Historical Markers
Formed from Young and Bexar territories; Created August 21, 1876; Orga....
Original hospital on this site (first in county) was built in 1917 by ....
Organized in 1890 by the Rev. J.H. Linderman and a small group of char....
Where Was Aberdeen, Texas ?
Loaction: County Road J and County Road 220
Closest Town: Wellington
Closest Major City: Amarillo