Post Office Est.: 1898
Post Office Closed:
High Population: 400
Low Population: 14
Train Depot Est.: 1909
Train Depot Closed:
Acme, on U.S. Highway 287 four miles west of Quanah in central Hardeman County, developed around cement and plaster industries established there in the 1890s. In 1890 James Sickler, who operated a gypsum-processing plant in Kansas, discovered a large gypsum bed on Grosbeck Creek and reestablished his milling plant at the Texas site. He and his partners formed the Lone Star Cement Plaster Company, and later other Kansas manufacturers established another gypsum mill about a mile downstream from the first plant. The town's post office was established in 1898, and the Fort Worth and Denver City and Quanah, Acme, and Pacific railroads provided service. The Acme Tap Railroad Company was formed in 1909 when one of the gypsum plants refused to give its rival rail access. By the early 1900s the town had a hotel, a railway depot, a general store, and a school. Over the years a number of historic objects were discovered as a result of the open-pit gypsum excavations, including the remains of some prehistoric mastodons, which were said to have been sent to museums in St. Louis.
Read more about Acme at the Handbook of Texas Online (Texas State Historical Association)
Hardeman County Historical Markers
This congregation was organized in 1892 at the home of Mrs. A. E. deGr....
Created February 1, 1858, recreated August 21, 1876. Organized De....
This native stone jail building was begun in 1890, when Quanah become ....
Built by Kansas City, Mexico & Orient Railway as passenger and freight....
Where Was Acme, Texas ?
Loaction: Highway 287 and State Highway 285
Closest Town: Quanah
Closest Major City: Wichita Falls