Post Office Est.: 1925
Post Office Closed:
High Population: 100
Low Population: 25
Year Founded: 1925
Train Depot Est.:
Train Depot Closed:
Acala is on the Rio Grande and State Highway 20, thirty-four miles northwest of Sierra Blanca near the Southern Pacific tracks in southwestern Hudspeth County. It was founded before 1925, when a post office was established with Mrs. Julia A. Vaughn as postmistress. In 1927 Acala had a population of fifty; two years later that figure had doubled. By the mid-1930s, however, the population had fallen to an estimated ten. It increased gradually over the next three decades, from an estimated seventy-five in the late 1930s to ninety in the late 1940s and 100 in the late 1950s. Subsequently, however, it fell again; in the late 1960s it was estimated at fifty and in the early 1970s at twenty-five, where it remained in 1990 and 2000. Acala was named for the long-staple cotton of Mexican origin grown in the area; it is the site of numerous canals and wells dug for irrigation
Read more about Acala at the Handbook of Texas Online (Texas State Historical Association)
Hudspeth County Historical Markers
(Joined Here in 1881) Great achievement in American history. Vi....
One of the many fearless stage drivers who traveled on the Ben Fi....
State Senator and member of U.S. House of Representatives for who....
Named for birds habitually there in abundance, Crow Springs was a....
Where Was Acala, Texas ?
Loaction: State Highway 20 and Masedos Road
Closest Town: Fort Hancock
Closest Major City: El Paso